Sunday 1 November 2015

Start of the Christmas season fairs -10 top tips

Yesterday was the start of my Christmas Fairs and fetes. So I thought of some tips for crafters doing fairs.  So here's my top tips.
1. Wear comfy shoes your going to be on your feet all day you don't want to be hobbling by the end of the day 
2. Be prepared make a list of what you need and check it off. Cellotape, scissors, bags and tissue paper are always a good idea and some pens and papers so you can write down your sales.
3. Practice your set up at home and check the front of your table throughout the day to make sure it still looks in top condition as you sell stuff.
4. Have a float with plenty of change. (And as some places charge for tea and coffee take a couple of £'s or flask)
5. Chat to other crafters the Crafting community is very supportive and a bit of networking is always good as you never know you might need a present in a few weeks and you think if that lady that did the cute purses but you forget to get her card oops. Swap cards with folk if you can. This year I'm trying to buy as many handmade gifts as possible.
6. Smile and chat to folk even if you don't get lots of sales today people will remember you if you are smiling and positive about your craft. I live to make things I enjoy everything about making and this comes across I get invited to a lot of fairs because I'm  enthusiastic about my makes. A lot of my online sales are from when people have taken my business cards from fairs. 
7. Take your lunch and some snacks it's a long day if you don't have something to eat.
8. Take plenty of business cards how can folk find you later if you don't ?
9. Do a bit of research before booking fairs at the start of the year I booked as many as I could anywhere I could. Make sure the one you are going to is well advertised and well organised (I went to one that was supposed to be 10-4 we got in at 9.50am and had to pack up and be out by 3pm I have been to some that are exceptionally well organised brilliantly advertised these can be more expensive but I made 10 times what I do at smaller ones)
10. If you have a fair that's a bust don't give up sometimes what you sell might just not be what folk are looking for don't be downhearted. Try again maybe it was the wrong fair for you.
Some of my cards laid out on display 

No comments:

Post a Comment